Who We Are
The ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board plays an important role in ensuring the safety and quality of goods and services and in protecting the environment.
We accredit management systems certification bodies, calibration and testing labs, forensic test and calibration service providers, inspection bodies, police crime units, reference material producers, and proficiency test providers. You wouldn't want to be treated by a doctor who isn't board certified in her specialty, or send your child to a college that isn't accredited, would you? Like those accrediting bodies, we conduct assessments to make sure our clients follow international standards and are competent to do their work.
The work we do helps facilitate international trade and eliminate the expense of redundant audits and tests.
Accreditation Shapes the World
The image below shows how accreditation delivers confidence in construction and the built environment (the theme of World Accreditation Day 2017). Click on elements of the image to see types of accreditation all around us.
ANAB provides accreditation ISO/IEC 17025 testing, calibration, and forensics laboratories, ISO/IEC 17020 inspection bodies and forensic inspection agencies; ISO/IEC 17043 proficiency testing providers, ISO Guide 34 reference material producers, and industry-specific programs. ANAB also accredits ISO/IEC 17021-1 certification bodies for:
- ISO 9001 quality management systems
- ISO 14001 environmental management systems
- ISO 13485 medical device quality management systems
- ISO/IEC 20000-1 information technology service management systems
- ISO 22000 food safety management systems
- ISO/IEC 27001 information security management systems
- ISO 28000 supply chain security management systems
- ISO 45001 occupational health and safety management systems
- ISO 50001 energy management systems
- ISO 55001 asset management systems
- Aerospace ICOP
- SN 9001 quality management systems
- TL 9000 quality management systems
- Recycling Industry Operating Standard
- e-Stewards Standard
- Responsible Recycling
- AS6081 for avoidance of counterfeits
- ASIS SPC.1, ASIS/BSI BCM.01, BS 25999-2, and NFPA 1600 PS-Prep and preparedness
- Sustainable Forestry Initiation
- American Tree Farms System
- BA 9001 body armor quality management systems
- SQFI Ethical Sourcing
- Private security company management systems
- Gluten-free management systems
- FDA FSMA Accredited Third-Party Certification Program
- FAMI-QS management systems
ANAB is a signatory of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) multilateral recognition arrangements.
ANAB is a non-governmental organization that provides accreditation services to public- and private-sector organizations and is jointly owned by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the American Society for Quality (ASQ).
ANSI enhances U.S. global competitiveness and quality of life by promoting, facilitating, and safeguarding the integrity of the voluntary standardization and conformity assessment system. ANSI is the official U.S. representative to the International Organization for Standardization and, via the U.S. National Committee, the International Electrotechnical Commission.
ASQ is the world's leading authority on quality. With more than 100,000 members, ASQ advances learning, quality improvement, and knowledge exchange to improve business results, and to create better workplaces and communities worldwide. ASQ offers technologies, concepts, tools, and training.
The ANAB portfolio covers the spectrum of conformity assessment accreditation. In addition to the ANAB programs, it includes ANSI programs for ISO/IEC 17024 personnel certifiers, ISO/IEC 17065 product certifiers, and ISO/IEC 14065 greenhouse gas verifiers.
The mission of ANAB is to be a leader in guiding the international development of accreditation processes that build confidence and value for stakeholders worldwide and providing high quality and reliable accreditation services with the most professional value-added services for customers and end users.
- Is committed to being a value-added, competent, and cost-effective provider of accreditation of conformity assessment services to national and international standards with the highest integrity and in a timely manner.
- Will advance international acceptance of conformity assessment by maintaining mutual recognition arrangements.
- Will provide its customers the best accreditation and assessment services possible while helping its customers and other interested parties focus on achieving and providing value.
- Will provide its employees a satisfying work environment that encourages teamwork and high performance.
ANAB judges its quality policy is met by:
- Continually improving customer satisfaction.
- Establishing metrics to improve service to customers and operational performance.
- Maintaining rigorous, independent, impartial, and transparent processes.
- Planning and developing new programs and services that help our customers be responsive to market demands.
- Ensuring effective and timely communication to customers and other interested parties.
- Signing appropriate mutual recognition arrangements.
- Participating and providing appropriate leadership in national, international, and industry forums.
- Respecting our personnel and having confidence they will deliver services that meet or exceed customer expectations; providing a safe, open team working environment, equal opportunity commensurate with demonstrated abilities and performance, and competitive compensation; and encouraging personal and professional growth consistent with organizational goals.
- Providing effective strategic, operational, and financial stewardship to ensure the health of the organization.
View photos from ANAB's 25th anniversary celebration.